This year marks a huge milestone for Vail: the big 5-0. Join the season-long celebration of Vail Mountain’s 50th anniversary during the 2012-2013 ski and snowboard season and into the summer of 2013. The early season concerts and fireworks are over but the year is still packed with events like the Burton US Open Snowboard Championships and Spring Back to Vail. Guests and locals alike are invited to join in on a celebration of Vail’s extensive history over the past 50 years, and all that the next 50 years will bring!
Explore the history of Vail in an interactive timeline!
50th Anniversary Highlights:
• Vail's 50th Anniversary Film at Lionshead Welcome Center: December 27, 2012; January 10, 17, 24 & 31, 2013; February 7 & 21, 2013; March 7 & 21, 2013; and April 4 & 11, 2013. Doors open at 5:00pm, showing is at 5:30pm (65-minute film). Non-alcoholic beverages and snacks will be available for purchase. Tickets will be available at Lionshead Welcome Center the DAY OF SHOW starting at 9:00am and are offered on a first-come, first-serve basis. The seating capacity is 130.
• Vail Family Holidaze: December 16-31, 2012. Vail Family Holidaze returns in December for its third season with activities, annual tree-lighting ceremony, ice-skating performances by world-champion ice skaters, kids’ and holiday concerts, the New Year’s Eve Torchlight Ski Down and Fireworks and much more.
• Winter Mountain Games Presented by Eddie Bauer: February 8-10, 2013. Professional and amateur athletes converge on the mountains and villages of Vail for a celebration of adventure sports, music, art and the great outdoors.
• Burton US Open: February 25-March 2, 2013. The Burton US Open, which first took place in 1982, is now the longest-running snowboarding competition in the world, attracting the world’s top competitors. After taking place on the east coast for 30 years, the event will now take center stage at Vail Mountain beginning in 2013.
• Founders of Vail Panel: February 28, 2013. Spend the evening with Vail Pioneers Rod Slifer, Elaine Kelton, and Merv Lapin as they reminisce about Vail's first years. More information available at VailSymposium.org.
• Ski Heritage Week: April 8-15, 2013. Celebrate 50 years of mountain fun and memories during Ski Heritage Week as Vail caps off its 50th birthday season. This special week will feature the US Ski & Snowboard Hall of Fame Annual Induction Ceremony, along with the yearly gathering of the International Skiing History Association (ISHA). Information and special packages are available at www.skihall.org/vail.
• Spring Back To Vail: April 8-14, 2013. The annual party to close out the ski and snowboard season returns with concerts, parties, pond-skimming and more.